Friday, March 26, 2010

Off to a rough start...

So I'm planning to keep a journal here of some of the things that happen on my Bonaire trip (we'll see how long it lasts...).

Things were going swimmingly until about 8pm the night before we leave.  Got a call that United had canceled our flight out of Gillette.  Odd, because the official reason was "weather" in Denver.  Hmmm, then how come they sent the first two flights out on the same day?  Do they employee a psychic that tells them that things will get rough a full 24 hours from now... never mind that it's 50 degrees there currently, or did someone just call in sick at United?

So the phone calls start.  Rerouted my flight out of Casper, no problem.  We'll just drive over in the morning.  Spirits high, still having fun.  Then another call.  The rest of us (including my ride to Casper) have been rerouted to Rapid City, South Dakota.  Uhhhh, okay, I'll drive.  Getting nervous now.

Then they tell me that I will still have to fly back into Gillette coming home.  Uhhhh, but my car will be in Casper.  "Sorry sir, but I cannot change your return flight because IT hasn't been canceled."

Whilst pondering that... another call.  Thank God I have unlimited minutes.  Some of us found a flight leaving GILLETTE at the same time as our original flight. SWEET!  I call United back.

"Sorry Sir, you already changed your flight once.  We cannot change it again."  The first tears of fear and frustration began to form.

Call 20 or 30:  "I talked to a woman named Mary.  Call this number and they'll get you changed to Delta out of Gillette."  It's now 1am.

Fifty-eight minutes later, a very nice lady from UNITED has contacted CONTINENTAL and exchanged my ticket for one on DELTA.  Tears of joy... I think she could hear them in my voice.

Grab 3 hours of restless sleep.

8am on departure day... I'm in the shower....

"Hey, you'd better get to the airport and check to be sure that you are really on the flight today.  There seems to be some problem..."

The headache now reaches to my navel...

Skid to a stop at airport.  Park in non-parking zone.  No one at ticket counter.  Someone from United... the ORIGIANAL airline... the one that canceled in the first place... asks, "Hey, are you with the group going to Bonaire?" 

I reply a hesitant, "yes...."

"I have room on the 9am flight.... do you want me to put you on it."

Room begins to real........ "What 9 am flight?  We were told that there were no other flights out today...."

"They must have forgotten to tell you.  That happens sometimes..................."

I didn't quite cry....

No comments:

Post a Comment